Feb 17, 2007

Book Review: The Ghost Map

I've been remiss in returning this book to the library... sorry folks, but I had to finish it!

Recently I've been on this reading kick where I've been finding other bloggers suggestions for books and ordering them through the library even when they are non-fiction! Not to say I don't like non-fiction books, but this is the second one this year, and I'm actually finding that I'm enjoying them. Which is a relief, because you can only read the same mystery plot so many times in a row before you change over to romance novels just for a change of scenery. so I think I'll be reading more of these non-fiction thingys...

This book is a great read, and I may be getting another book from the library by this author, it's just that good. Basically you know the ending before you begin reading it (it's on the book jacket), but Steven Johnson's take on the outcome the outbreak of cholera in nineteenth century London is eye opening. I found this easy to understand, and only felt once or twice that I really should look up a word for a clearer understanding (that might be because of my cold, and I faked it anyways. Perhaps what I enjoyed most out of this book is what I completed today, the epilogue. It brought a long ago event of the cholera outbreak into todays terms, how it set out the premise that todays human populations will survive. And just maybe it reminded me to be open-minded when it comes to new ideas in science and medicine, among other things in life, and not go with the consensus because that's the way it's always been done.

I would suggest that, unless you've got a strong stomach, you don't need to read this during your lunch break as I did...

No comments: