Jan 4, 2007

thank you for smoking

Calgary is finally "Smoke Free"! Yes!

I actually might go to a club or a bar or something. I usually hate to go, I come home stinkin' to high heaven of stale cigarettes. And if you smoke, please don't take offense, I just prefer to breathe you know, air without smoke. (I'm not saying that the air is any good, but it is better. And ciggies soak into the clothes you wear, and your hair, and you know that you're inhaling a good amount of the stuff, how can you not. I never got why my smoker friends never seemed to know they stink. You know, like when someone comes inside form the cold after having a light and just reeks. It makes my stomach twinge just thinking about it.

And of course the media is going after the story like crazy. You'd think there wasn't anything else going on in this city (like a body in a dumpster and a snow covered body in Bowness.)

For some reason the big uproar is that bar owners appear to think that their patrons are just gonna say home and not go out to drink. If that were true, there would never be pubs and bars and clubs in the first place. After all, it's probably always been cheaper to stay at home and drink, and party, and you can even be naked (if you so desire). the reason to be at the bar is not solely to smoke your heart out. It's to have fun, hang out with your buddies or friends or make some new ones.

Oh sure you can throw the "it's my right to smoke" at me. But "I've got a right not to smoke," right back at ya.

I might even go out more often, have fun with some people, meet some new people. Enjoy sitting at a restaurant without choking on the smell of smoke in any distance to the meal. Just inhale regularly without thinking, in the back of my mind, that I gonna die of lung cancer or something (yes, I know that's in the extreme).

All the best to smokers, but I hope you continue to have to go get a breath of fresh air as you smoke yourself to death. And, that's just how I feel.

Oh, and I watched the movie Thank you for Smoking over the holidays and really enjoyed it. I could even watch it again!

No comments: