Feb 17, 2007

Book Review: In a Sunburned Country

I've always wanted to travel, and I've read more than a few books on travelers and their journeys through different lands, and almost always find them fascinating. This book was no different, I loved it! I generally pick up a Bill Bryson book on the suggestion of a friend or article, and get through the first chapter and put it down because I've got books from the library that are due, so I've got to read them quick! (Three weeks is just not enough for me)

So this time I took the book out of the library (ha ha) and was forced to read it within a set time, although I did end up renewing it once in order to finish it. I decided to read it after reading the book list of fussy's and put it on hold at my local library (Yes, I do purchase books and even have bought a book of Bryson's, but books are expensive! A library card is a lot cheaper, and I will go out and buy books as gifts to other people).

This book is about Australia in the viewpoint of a visitor. In North America we are generally oblivious to this entire continent, as self-centered we are (or, as the u.s. draws all of our attention, certainly enough to fill our news broadcasts). Only recently, after the 2000 Sydney Olympics and the explosion of the internet and sites like youtube (online communities) have we been exposed to this marvelous country. I went through a lot of National Geographics in highschool for art projects, and probably learned most of what I know about Australia, other than that it was only necessary to remember the spelling and difference in location to Austria (which I easily got mixed up with).

The thing that got me hooked was on the first chapter of this book, an amazing part of Australian history and I found I was so ignorant, and only Bryson could lead me through my lack of knowledge of this country. Sure, I've known many Aussie wives of (richer) Canadian men, and several friends has gone to travel through the country (one even attended private school there, much to her dismay at the time), and I've watched Crocodile Dundee and the Crocodile Hunter... but I didn't know how much I didn't know!

It's a fab book, and I'm definitely suggesting it... (even though I didn't talk too much about it here!) And, I'll be finishing the other books I've got too! And now I know enough about Australia that I'd like to learn so much more.

No comments: