Mar 28, 2007

A Walk In The Woods

I've just finished this book and have found once more that Bill Bryson has made me want to do things that I've never had the inclinations to do before! Now i go to sleep dreaming of the Appalachians, again, I've never before cared to know more about. And to be honest, I've had this book hanging round my house for a while being that it was lent to me in october. But since I get most of my books at the library, and there is a three week limit for the books that I've put on hold... I haven't gotten to my personal library lately.

Speaking of the library, when I borrowed Sunburned Country the guy who processed me through said it was the funniest book he'd ever read. I disagree, A Walk In The Woods was a lot funnier (in my humble opinion). So far I've fully read two of Bryson's books and I'll be reading more (I've got A Short History of Nearly Everything in my library as well) and I like his writing and love the humour. When I read his stuff I can also find it chock full with historical tidbits that I otherwise never would've known about.

I also find that the most humorous situations (the parts that you'll hear me guffaw out loud over) are the parts where Bryson is experiencing something with people, as opposed to when he is experiencing things by himself. For example (this may be a SPOILER alert, but I think it happens within the first chapter) Bryson starts the walk with an old pal, and then walks alone. And when he's with someone else (any other person, as long as there is some sort of congeniality between them) he tends to bring the laughter meter up, way up. And since I believe I've bruised my ribs, every bit of laughter hurts, so it's got to be funny! (most of the time the laughter is past my lips before I realised it).

If you like a good laugh and then, if you're up to, a walk in the woods then this is the book for you. (Even f you never want to step outside your door, I'd totally suggest this read.

No comments: